Basketball at Paris 2024 Olympics: The Road to Qualification
The Olympic Games in Paris in 2024 are poised to showcase the pinnacle of global athletic achievement, and the basketball tournament is eagerly anticipated by fans around the world. As teams and athletes prepare for the prestigious event, the qualification process is a crucial journey that needs to be navigated. This detailed guide explains how teams can secure their place at the Paris 2024 Olympics.
The basketball tournament at Paris 2024 will feature a total of 288 players, divided equally between men and women, forming 24 teams in total. France, as the host country, has one quota place for each gender; however, this is contingent on a decision by the FIBA Central Board on 30 June 2023.
FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023
The road to Paris for men’s basketball begins at the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023, scheduled from 25 August to 10 September in the Philippines, Japan, and Indonesia. Seven quota places will be up for grabs, distributed across different continents:
- Two for America
- Two for Europe
- One for Africa
- One for Asia
- One for Oceania
Olympic Qualifying Tournaments
The remaining four quota places will be determined through Olympic Qualifying Tournaments, consisting of Pre-Qualifying Tournaments (FOPQTs) and Qualifying Tournaments (FOQTs).
- 40 teams will compete, with participants determined by previous FIBA Basketball World Cup Qualifiers.
- Teams are divided by continents, and a select number will progress to the FOQTs.
- 24 teams will participate, representing all continents.
- Four tournaments, each with six teams, will held.
- The winner of each tournament secures a spot in the Olympic Games.
FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022
The first quota place for women’s basketball will decide at the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 in Australia, from 22 September to 1 October.
Olympic Qualifying Tournaments
The remaining 11 quota places will be determined through Olympic Qualifying Tournaments, involving Pre-Qualifying Tournaments (FWOPQTs) and Qualifying Tournaments (FWOQTs).
- 22 teams will participate, selected based on the FIBA Women’s Continental Cups 2023.
- Teams divided by continent, and the top performers will progress to the FWOQTs.
- 16 teams will participate, representing all continents/geographical regions.
- Four tournaments, each with four teams, will held.
- The top three teams from each tournament qualify for the Olympic Games.
Paris 2024 Basketball Competition Schedule
The basketball competitions will take place from 27 July to 11 August 2024, with the preliminary phase planned in Lille and the final phase in Paris.
Athletes to Watch at Paris 2024
- The USA team, led by Coach Steve Kerr, is once again a top contender.
- France, Slovenia, and other teams will also be in the spotlight, showcasing star players.
- The USA women’s team seeks to continue their Olympic dominance.
- Teams from France, Belgium, Japan, and Australia also expected to make a strong showing.
Basketball Qualification Timeline
This section provides a comprehensive timeline, highlighting key events leading up to the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
- September 2022: FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022
- 2023: Various qualification tournaments and events
- July – August 2024: Olympic Games Paris 2024
This roadmap to qualification offers a clear picture of the journey teams must undertake to compete in the basketball tournaments at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games. With intense competition and a world stage set for excellence, the road to Paris promises to be a thrilling journey for athletes and fans alike.